Police tax frequently asked questions

Our Police Tax FAQ is a valuable resource designed to address common questions and concerns that law enforcement professionals may have about their taxes. We understand that the tax code can be complex, and our FAQ aims to simplify it for our dedicated officers.

We provide straightforward answers to frequently asked questions related to tax deductions, credits, and any unique tax considerations specific to police officers. We cover topics like uniform expenses, job-related deductions, retirement plans, and more. This comprehensive FAQ ensures that officers have access to accurate and up-to-date information, allowing them to make informed decisions and maximise their tax benefits.

Have Any Question ?

FAQ for Police Officers

Police Tax provides a comprehensive range of services tailored to the unique tax needs of police officers. Our services include expert tax guidance, assistance with lodging tax returns, maximising deductions and credits, and ensuring timely and accurate refunds. We are dedicated to helping law enforcement professionals optimise their financial benefits within the tax system, so they can focus on their crucial duties of maintaining public safety.

The 12 main classes of police tax deductions typically include:
  • D1. Car Expenses based on the set rate per Km method
  • D2. Travel & Acommodation costs
  • D3. Uniform & Clothing/ Protective Gear
  • D4. Self education
  • D5.1 Police Unions & associations
  • D5.2 Use of mobile Phone % with 6 week log counter
  • D5.3 Use of Internet % with 6 week log counter or hours worked from home deductions( office desks & Chairs)
  • D5.4 Small Technical gadgets uner $300 each
  • D5.5 Tactical equipment including fire arms training & ammunition and protective gear
  • D5.6 Miscell. including journals,stationary,first aid kits & sunscreen
  • D5.7 Fitness costs for tactical & specialist squads T&C's apply)
  • D9 & D10 dont forget your charities and your last years tax agent fee

We don't deduct our tax agent fees from your refund for a few reasons:
  • Transparency: We believe in full transparency. Separating our fees allows you to see exactly how much you're receiving in your refund, without any deductions. It ensures clarity in the entire process.
  • Legal Requirements: Tax regulations often require that fees be paid directly to the tax agent, rather than deducted from the refund. This ensures compliance with tax laws and regulations.
  • Regarding the speed of our fees going into our nominated account, it's because we process them independently and promptly. This allows us to efficiently manage our operations and provide you with the best service possible. We aim to ensure that your refund is processed quickly and accurately, and this approach helps us achieve that goal.

    Police officers in Australia cannot claim certain expenses on their tax returns, including:
  • Salary sacrifice car under a novated lease: you can't claim any of the expenses that relate to the running of a car as it is on a salary sacrifice arrangement.
  • Everyday Clothing: Standard uniform items like shirts, pants, and shoes that are part of the standard police uniform are generally not claimable.
  • Commuting Expenses: Costs associated with traveling to and from work, even if you wear your uniform while commuting, are typically not deductible.
  • Meal Expenses: Everyday meals, including those consumed during shifts, are usually not deductible. However, certain allowances or meal expenses incurred while on overnight duty or during travel for work may be eligible for claims.
  • Gym Memberships: While physical fitness is crucial for police officers, gym memberships are usually considered a personal expense and not tax-deductible.The exception is tactical & specialist Squads
  • Fines and penalties You can't claim a deduction for any fines or penalties you get when you travel to work or when you are travelling for wok purposes. Fines may include parking and speeding fines or penalties.
  • Drivers licence You can't claim a deduction for the cost to get or renew your drivers licence, even if you must have it as a condition of employment. This is a private expense. You can claim a deduction for additional costs you incur to get a special licence or condition on your licence to perform your work duties. For example, the cost you incur to get a heavy vehicle permit.